“Bonza Recipe…Better than the original” as reviewed by by Bill on the 9th of April. (click on the review tab above to see full review)
The Original Chimay Blue or Chimay Grand Reserve at 9% alcohol, is a Belgian classic & we have spent years perfecting our recipe. As far as clones go this is one of our best ever.
It's rich, spicy & fruity with a superb coppery colour, heaps of malt density & character providing a gentle sweetness. It is higher in alcohol than a regular Belgian Ale & given its strength subtle hints of alcohol are present throughout, which just adds to the indulgent drinking pleasure.
- Style: Belgian Strong Ale / Dubbel
- Ideal Fermentation Range: 15 - 20°C
- Colour EBC: 60 -70 Copper Brown
- IBUs: 35 moderately bitter
- Original Gravity: 1.050 – 52 (at 15lt total volume)
- Final Gravity: 1.010 – 1.012
- ABV: 5.8 – 6 %
- Volume 18lt
- Recipe Style: Malt Extract with a grain addition Beer Kit
- Hop Aroma & Flavour: Earthy, spicy, herbal floral notes
- Appearance: Amber copper -oloured with a creamy off-white head.
- Mouthfeel: Creamy medium-full body
" blend pale brewing malt extract 3.2Kg
" Crushed roasted grains
" Brewing Honey
" German and English grown hops for flavour aroma and bitterness
" Belgian Ale Yeast
" Easy to follow instructions
Optional extra add 500g of soft brown sugar & reduce the volume to 15L to bring the alcohol up close to the original 9% ABV.
|Brand||Australian Home Brewing|
|Unit Of Measure||ea|
Chimay Blue - Bonza recipeBy: Bill on 9 April 2021Bottled 17-2-2021 (brewed 7-2). Taste tested on Easter Sunday. Got overwhelming comments from multiple relatives - but especially my wife, who only likes Chimay beer (usually a wine drinker). She says its better than the original!!. Beautiful creamy head, lots of chocolate & caramel flavors. Absolutely thrilled with results. Definitely recommend this brew - & reasonably easy to brew - just need ~2 hours & I am a novice!!